Do you have a great project idea to help make UBC a better campus but no idea how to fund it? The UBC Equity Enhancement Fund can help.
The Equity Enhancement Fund is available to all students, faculty and staff who want to develop and promote ideas that significantly boost campus community’s equity and diversity. There is separate funding for the Okanagan and Vancouver campuses.
All academic or administrative units are invited to apply for funding. Student groups as well as other faculty and staff groups are also invited to submit proposals through their respective leadership.
Funding up to $25,000 is available per project but proposals with budgets small to large are encouraged to apply.
Student Applications: Deadline for submissions is extended to April 17, 2015
Faculty and staff applications: Deadline is March 31, 2015. If your unit requires additional time please contact email@example.com.
Read about the projects funded last year: http://equity.ubc.ca/equity-enhancement-fund-2014/
If you have any questions about the Equity Enhancement Fund, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Goals of the Equity Enhancement Fund
- UBC equity and diversity committees
- Who can apply for funding?
- Application/proposal template and information
- Fund objectives
- Funding details
- Application deadline
- Evaluation criteria
Goals of the Equity Enhancement Fund 2015
Following the action plan from Renewing our Commitment to Equity and Diversity: UBC’s Response to the Task Force Recommendations, preference will be given to initiatives which:
- Build student, faculty and staff competencies and understanding related to issues of equity, diversity and inclusion through community-engaged activities.
- Promote a respectful environment at UBC through education, dialogue and community engagement.
UBC equity and diversity committees
Equity and diversity committees from faculties, departments and units are encouraged to apply for Equity Enhancement Funding to develop or enhance equity in their work setting.
Guidelines and Requirements
Download the Equity Enhancement Fund 2015 proposal template (Word). All proposals must use this template. Read the proposal guidelines carefully, they are meant to help you prepare a successful application.
Who can apply for funding?
- The following are invited to submit proposals to the Equity Enhancement Fund:
- Any UBC academic or administrative unit
- Equity committees and equity representatives
- Unions or Associations
- Alma Mater Society
- Graduate Student Society
- UBC Students’ Union Okanagan
- Student clubs or groups
NOTE: Proposals will not be accepted to fund academic research that would be carried out in the normal course of work or study.
Application Form and Information
- Proposals must use the Equity Enhancement Fund 2015 proposal template provided and should be five pages or less. Proposals can be submitted as a pdf or word document. If you have problems opening the proposal template please email email@example.com and we will send you the document.
- Email completed proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission is March 31, 2015
- Proposals should have observable and/or measurable benefits to the representation or experiences of historically disadvantaged groups within the UBC community.
- Priority will be given to proposals that will benefit other parts of the University and have a continuing effect on enhancing employment or educational equity.
- Proposals must provide clear rationale and objectives consistent with the University’s Equity and Inclusion mandate and commitments as outlined in Place and Promise
- All Equity Enhancement Fund initiatives must be in accordance with UBC’s Respectful Environment Statement.
- The proposal must be endorsed by a Head of Unit or the senior official of an organization ie. Alma Mater Society, Graduate Student Society and UBC Students’ Union Okanagan, union/association or student club. A Head of Unit is the Director of a service unit; Head of an academic department; Director of a centre, institute or school; Principal of a college; Dean; Associate Vice President; University Librarian; Registrar; Vice President; or President.
- Submissions from the Unions or Associations must be endorsed and signed by the senior official of the organization.
- Submissions from the AMS, GSS and UBCSUO must be endorsed and signed by the senior official of the organization.
- NOTE: The person making the endorsement assumes responsibility for monitoring the project.
- Proposals that receive funds from the Equity Enhancement Fund are required to submit a brief report, including financial accounting, to the Associate Vice President, Equity and Inclusion upon completion of the project. The Equity and Inclusion Office will provide a template for this purpose.
- Funds must be spent within one year of receiving funding. Any unused funds must be reported and returned.
- The fund recipients are responsible for planning and implementation related to your project, and covering any cost overruns.
- Proposals up to $25,000 will be considered. Small and large proposals are encouraged.
- Download Equity Enhancement Fund 2015 proposal template (contains sample budget)
- There are separate funds for the Vancouver and Okanagan campuses.
- Proposals that show a partnership between units/departments/groups is encouraged.
- You are encouraged to match or supplement any funding awarded towards your initiative. Contact the Equity and Inclusion Office for advice on additional sources of funding available at UBC.
- Funding will not be granted for projects that are a normal part of the unit’s responsibilities and operating expenses, or, except in exceptional circumstances, to reinstitute a previously funded project in a unit.
- Funding is allocated once a year in the last quarter of the fiscal period by the Associate Vice-President, Equity and Inclusion, with advice from the Provost’s Advisory Committee on Equity and Diversity (PACED).
- Fund amount and guidelines will be reviewed annually by the Associate Vice-President, Equity and Inclusion, and the Provost’s Advisory Committee on Equity and Diversity (PACED).
Proposals must be received by March 31, 2015.
|Call for Proposals||Week of January 19, 2015|
|Deadline for Submission of Proposals||March 31, 2015|
|Disbursement of Funds to Funded Proposals||May 2015|
The proposals will be evaluated by a sub-committee of the Provost’s Advisory Committee on Equity and Diversity (PACED) based on the following criteria, which were developed by the Committee:
- Strategic Value
How well does this initiative align with the University’s Equity and Inclusion mandate and commitments as outlined in Place and Promise
- Enhances Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Will this initiative significantly contribute to the enhancement of equity and diversity at UBC?
Does this enhance UBC’s reputation on and off campus? Does it create an opportunity to partner with other UBC units/organizations or with groups outside the university?
- Community Engaged Activities
Will this project engage and inspire participation of historically disadvantaged groups within the UBC community?
How can this project be made sustainable beyond the funding period?