UBCO Equity Ambassadors program provides undergraduate and graduate students with a volunteer opportunity to exercise leadership, engage in learning, and develop professionally while helping to advance equity, diversity and inclusion.
The UBCO Equity Ambassador (EA) program enables students to advance Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) by leading and engaging in a wide range of developmental and co-curricular activities such as peer-to-peer education, training, networking, and in-person and digital outreach.
Equity Ambassadors lead and participate in regular EA committee meetings, a learning environment where EAs can meet student peers with similar passions, learn from each other, and share their knowledge. Students will benefit from staff mentorship and gain applied skills and theoretical knowledge related to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Who is it for
- All undergraduate and graduate students at UBC Okanagan
- The main requirements for this position are interest, curiosity, and passion for social justice
Benefits to participation
- Gain applied experience with leadership, facilitation, education, policy analysis, research, communications and event development
- Cultivate and deepen your understanding of equity, diversity, and inclusion topics and practices
- Develop and broaden your network of peers, faculty, and staff
What you can expect
Equity Ambassadors can expect to:
- Participate in regular bi-weekly or monthly committee meetings, contributing to discussions, and engaging in collaborative learning; each meeting may be around 2 hours.
- Engage in learning and reflection, including through workshops, exploration of art and music, and sharing of life experiences and backgrounds
- Initiate and lead EDI-related projects, events, research and collaborate with clubs, course unions, and within enrolled courses
- Assist with EIO student engagement and outreach efforts, including through in-person events and digital engagement efforts; this may include efforts to support of the implementation of the Inclusion Action Plan, assisting with large scale events such as Queer orientation, Trans Day of Remembrance, and Black History Month, and helping to raise awareness of the EIO
Equity Ambassadors are invited to suggest external workshops they want to engage in and bring back key learning and reflection points to share with the group.
To apply, please send your letter of interest (500 words maximum) to email@example.com.